Rochambeau Statue
Newport, RI

Jean-Baptiste Donatien de Vimeur, comte de Rochambeau was a French nobleman and general who participated in the American Revolutionary War as the commander in chief of the French Expeditionary Force which came to help the American Continental Army.

In July 1781, Rochambeau's force left Newport, Rhode Island to join Washington on the Hudson River at Dobbs Ferry, New York. There then followed a march of the combined forces to Yorktown, Virginia, the seige of Yorktown and the Battle of the Chesapeake leading to the surrender of British General Cornwallis at Yorktown.

In 1934, American A. Kingsley Macomber donated this statue of General Rochambeau to the city of Newport, Rhode island. The sculpture is a replica of a statue in Paris.

Beavertail Light
Jamestown, Conanicut Island, RI

This is Beavertail Light located at the tip of Jamestown aka Conanicut Island. The lighthouse established here in 1749 at Beavertail Point, at the southern tip of Conanicut Island, was the granddaddy of all Rhode Island lighthouses and only the third one—after Boston Harbor and Nantucket’s Brant Point—in the American colonies. Only the base remains of the original lighthouse. The tower shown in this photo was built in 1856.

A more complete history of this light house may be found here http://lighthouse.cc/beave rtail/history.html

The Breakers
Newport, RI

The Breakers is the grandest of Newport's summer "cottages" and a symbol of the Vanderbilt family's social and financial preeminence in turn of the century America. Commodore Cornelius Vanderbilt (1794-1877) established the family fortune in steamships and later in the New York Central Railroad, which was a pivotal development in the industrial growth of the nation during the late 19th century.

The Commodore's grandson, Cornelius Vanderbilt II, became Chairman and President of the New York Central Railroad system in 1885, and purchased a wooden house called The Breakers in Newport during that same year. In 1893, he commissioned architect Richard Morris Hunt to design a villa to replace the earlier wood-framed house which was destroyed by fire the previous year. Hunt directed an international team of craftsmen and artisans to create a 70 room Italian Renaissance- style palazzo inspired by the 16th century palaces of Genoa and Turin.

The Vanderbilts had seven children. Their youngest daughter, Gladys, who married Count Laszlo Szechenyi of Hungary, inherited the house on her mother's death in 1934. An ardent supporter of The Preservation Society of Newport County, she opened The Breakers in 1948 to raise funds for the Society. In 1972, the Preservation Society purchased the house from her heirs. Today, the house is designated a National Historic Landmark. For more information on this Newport mansion visit this web site.

Chateau-sur-mer
Newport, RI

Chateau-sur-mer was the most palatial residence in Newport from its completion in 1852 until the appearance of the Vanderbilt houses in the 1890s.

Chateau-sur-Mer's grand scale and lavish parties ushered in the Gilded Age of Newport. Chateau-sur-Mer was built as an Italianate-style villa for China trade merchant William Shepard Wetmore. It was the scene of many memorable entertainments, from the "Fete Champetre", an elaborate country picnic for over two thousand guests held in 1857, to the debutante ball for William's daughter, Miss Edith Wetmore in 1889.

Mr. Wetmore died in 1862, leaving the bulk of his fortune to his son, George Peabody Wetmore. George married Edith Keteltas in 1869. During the 1870s, the young couple departed on an extended trip to Europe, leaving architect Richard Morris Hunt to remodel and redecorate the house in the Second Empire French style. As a result, Chateau-sur-Mer displays most of the major design trends of the last half of the 19th century.

The house was purchased by the The Preservation Society of Newport County in 1969.  In 2006 it was designated a National Historic Landmark. For more information on this Newport mansion visit this web site.

Return to Oakham Graphics home page.